Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Pear-Blueberry Pie

Recently while on a car ride I (Sierra) started contemplating the idea of a pear-blueberry pie; it sounded marvelous (even though I had never had one before) and I thought I must make one! So I did and it was delicious... so I just made another one for my dear friend Daryl. I enjoy making pies it is simple and oddly soothing. And I could imagine myself owning a Pie Shop, being very content with a pie making life. Just as Ned in Pushing Daisies owned ( if you don't know about Pushing Daisies you should, it was a beautifully vibrant and clever television show). This was the main characters pie shop:




Anyway onto my Pear-Blueberry Pie

You will need...
4-6 Pears ( I used d'anjou & they should be firm so they will hold up better in the pie)
3 cups Blueberries ( about 12 ounzes)
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon chilled butter
Pie Crust ( double crust 9 inch Pie) - I used Trader Joes Frozen dough

 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl. Then peel and slice the pears about 1/4 inch thick. Line a 9-10 inch pie pan with the crust then add a layer of pears, then a layer of blueberries, and finally a layer of the sugar mixture (covering the fruit). Continue to layer until the fruit is mounded above the pie pan finish with a layer of sugar and sprinkle the lemon juice on top, then crumble pieces of chilled butter over the top and cover with the second pie crust.
Make sure to seal the two layers of pie crust together by pinching them, and cut 3-4 slits in the top of the pie.
Then bake for 50-65 minutes until the crust is golden and the juices are bubbling.

The pie can be kind of liquidy so on my first attempt I spooned out a bite to taste it while it was still hot and the hole kept filling with the purple liquid, so I spooned the liquid out (into my mouth) whenever it filled up and it eventually stopped.
This pie has a wonderful flavor, balancing the berries and pears wonderfully and it reminds me of a spiced cider. I highly recommend giving it a try :)
It looks a bit lumpy, but that is because of the blueberries.

2 comments:

  1. The pie was delicious! Everyone in my house has had at least one piece, steven and i had two!

    My mom suggested that to make it less liquidy you tossed the blueberries lightly in cream of tartar powder before you add them to the pears, I guess that's made specifically for that purpose in pies! Just a note for next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you all enjoyed it!
    And I will try the cream of tartar for next time!

    ReplyDelete