Friday, November 11, 2011

Pumkin Pie with Gingersnap Crust

I have made a few pumpkin pie's in my time, but when I heard about a gingersnap crust I was excited to give it a try! I love more spice that sweetness in a pumpkin pie, so this sounded like the perfect recipe. Luckily, I was asked by a potential employer to bake a few different small desserts to see if my baking was up to par (more on that later).

Gingersnap Crust:
1 3/4 cup gingersnap cookie crumbs (crush in a plastic bag, using a rolling pin)
2 1/2 tbs butter (melted)
2 tbs sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a 9 inch pie pan, press onto the base and sides. Then bake for 5 minutes at 325 degrees.

Pumpkin Filling:
1 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbs cornstarch
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 can (12 fluid ounces) evaporated milk
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl with a whisk until smooth. Pour into the gingersnap crust. Bake at 325 degrees for about 1 hour. (until a knife comes out clean). I also garnished my pie with the gingersnap cookies (mostly to cover the knife marks :). I cut them in half and placed them in the center of the pie.

Notes: I would recommend adding more spice if you enjoy that flavor (for me personally it was a little too bland). I am glad I was able to test it out before Thanksgiving; for the holiday I will plan on trying some grated ginger in the filling to add a stronger spice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment