Thursday, September 8, 2011

Homemade Bread

 Never before has homemade bread been baked in this household. But, hey there's a first time for everything right? I snagged this recipe from my friends blog Roots, Wings, and Other Things which she also snagged from a different source. She made it sound so delicious and easy that I thought I would give it a try. As I write this my loaf is still baking and let me tell you, the smell is absolutely wonderful!
I did tweak a few of the ingredients to add my own flair to the bread.

Ingredients:
1 c warm water
1 tbs milk
2 tbs olive oil
2 tbs agave nectar (the original recipe called for honey)
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried thyme (this was something I added; there are many spices to add that would taste great)
2 c all-purpose flour
1 c quinoa flour (the original recipe used only all-purpose flour)
2 tsp instant active dry yeast

-Combine the first seven ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Then add the flours and yeast; knead the dough on a floured surface for about 15 min until it has an elastic consistency.
- Spray a bowl with nonstick spray and place the dough inside, cover with a towel, and let sit for about 40 min to allow the dough to rise (about double the size).
- Punch down the dough and knead until smooth (this does not take long). Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray, then form the dough into a loaf shape and lay it in the pan.
- Cover with a cloth and let sit another 40 min. to again rise.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes; if the top is browning to fast cover it with a piece of foil.
- Once out of the oven, let the bread rest for about 5 minutes. Then remove it to a wire cooling rack and cover with a cloth. Can be served hot or cold.

Note: You can taste the quinoa flour in the bread, so if you don't like the taste or are unfamiliar with it I don't recommend using it. In the future I will experiment with other flours to achieve the best taste/health ratio :)

1 comment:

  1. Whoo! so happy you tried this. I make this ALL the time now. I use 2 1/2 cups whole grain flour and 1/2 cup all purpose flour. We tried it 100% whole grain and it was just too dense.

    Let me know what other flours you use! That sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete