Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Today I was looking through the pie recipes I have posted and could not believe that I never got around to posting the recipe for my favorite and what I think to be my most successful pie! And this pie is Strawberry Rhubarb; I love how this pie has the sweet strawberries and the tart rhubarb, making it the perfect pie!
 I recommend using the Vodka Pie dough (My Favorite Pie Dough) for this pie.

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups chopped red rhubarb, fresh
  • 2 1/2 cups de-stemmed, washed and cut strawberries (halved)
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 2 tablespoons minute tapioca
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl
Pour into 9 inch pie crust
Cover with crust and crimp the edges (I recommend a lattice crust for this pie, it allows the vibrant red to be seen and all the juices tend to stay in the pie and not all over your oven!)
With pies I usually place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment in case of bubbly juices.
Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 325 for 45-50 minutes. 

Optional: Brush the top crust with egg white or cream and sprinkle with course sugar.

If you have never had a strawberry rhubarb pie, please try it! You will be glad you did. With this pie I received the most complements; "It is  good enough to be served in a restaurant" & "The best pie I've ever had"

No comments:

Post a Comment